AutoPure is a fully automated DNA/RNA isolation system.
KDI helped this customer be the first to market with an instrument to automate the isolation of DNA/RNA from whole blood samples, replacing an 800 step manual process. Multiple patents and copyrights were issued.
KDI developed and manufactured robotic test tube manipulation systems for:
- Bar code labeling and identification of samples for tracking
- Placing and removing threaded caps
- Reagent-dispensing with fill-to-weight sensitivity
- Centrifuge loading and unloading
- Programmable mixing and pour-off
An International Biomedical Corporation developed and sold reagents for the purpose of isolation of DNA/RNA from various DNA sources. Slow, limited automation was commercially available, but existing technology typically involved long tedious manual processing operations with their associated human error factors. Clinical and research applications require large samples, and large lot sizes with no tolerance for errors or cross-contamination. End users were requesting help to reduce the labor, improve the sample quality, and increase the process speed.
The customer turned to KDI for help with AutoPure. The goal was to develop an instrument from concept through production within an aggressive business driven time frame to automate the isolation of DNA from whole blood samples.
KDI successfully developed an 800+ step programmable instrument with the following features:
- Automatically loaded and unloaded a centrifuge.
- Specialized eight reagent-dispensing system with fill-to-weight sensitivity.
- Custom, easy to use consumables and automated consumable bar code labeling machine.
- Unique programmable mixing and pour-off station
- Operator interface, and PC connection for data input, output, and processing status.
- Bar code identification system for sample tracking.
- Robotic test tube manipulation system.
- PLC, service, system status, and motion control software
Questions about this project? Contact us >