Inventor, Sam Patterson developed a solution to the problem of large greasy chain rings and faulty front shifting on everyday bikes. The Patterson Transmission crankset – which replaces a traditional front derailleur – is his solution to that problem.
Patterson came to KDI because they needed functional prototypes quickly. The marketing and future sales of this new product depended on being able to demonstrate it at an upcoming West Coast mountain bike event.
KDI helped Patterson develop the Transmission Crankset, and was able to manufacture functional prototypes in time for successful demonstration at the event.
- Load shiftable two speed fully sealed planetary gearing system
- Enables quick gear changes while pedaling, coasting and standing still
- Ability to changes gears under a load of up to 200#
- Overdrive ratio 1.6:1 increases gear range by 60% compared with single chain ring
- Speed to functional prototypes
- Calculating the load profile at gear geometry
- Selection of gear material and hardening specification
- Developing manufacturing methods to quickly produce prototypes
Questions about this project? Contact us >